Enable Outbound SMTP Filtering
Login to your SpamHero account and go to Outbound > Outbound settings and turn on the Enable outbound sending for quarantine users and account contacts check box.
You can also route email from your mail server through our Outbound Filtering service by enabling the Smart Host setup and following these instructions:
Routing outbound email from a dedicated mail server through SpamHero
The advantage of this option is that you do not need to make any changes in the email software used by your individual users on your domain.
Create Outbound SMTP Users
The Outbound Filtering feature is available for all quarantine users and account contacts. To view existing quarantine users or add new ones, login to your account and go to Settings > quarantine users. For account contacts, go to Account > account contacts.
Configuring Your Domain's SPF Record
It is recommended that you include SpamHero's IPs in your SPF record. For more information, see: Should I include SpamHero's IPs in my domain's SPF record?
Setting up Email Client Software for Outbound Filtering
Before setting up your email software to use our Outbound Filtering service, first make sure to configure and test inbound and outbound email services with your existing mail server. If you have not setup your email client yet, please contact your email host's technical support (or your mail server administrator if you have a dedicated mail server) for instructions in setting up your email client. Once that is done, you can follow these steps to use our outbound filtering service.
When you configure your email client software to use Outbound Filtering, you will need to configure it using the "Email Client Settings" listed in the table below. Note: Your email software may have slightly different names for these settings (see Instructions for Setting up Specific Email Client Software).
|Email Client Setting
||Set to either 25 or 587 (if using STARTTLS) or 465 (if using SSL/TLS).
||Primary email address used to login to your SpamHero (Either quarantine users or account contacts). So, if your quarantine email address (or account contat email address) is
firstname.lastname@example.org, then your username for the outbound filtering will be
||This is the same password that you use for logging into the control panel.
||Set to STARTTLS or SSL/TLS. We only allow these secure connections.
||Set to PLAIN. Your password will still be encrypted during transmission. By using PLAIN our servers only need to store an encrypted copy of your password, for additional security.
Email Client Setup Instructions
To set up Outlook to send outbound email through SpamHero:
- Click the File > Account Settings > Account Settings file menu item
- In the pop-up box, select your email address, and click Change...
- In the new pop-up box, click the More Settings... button in the bottom right
- Click the Outgoing Server tab
- Check the box My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Use the option Log on using, and enter the following:
User Name: your email address
Password: the password for this user to login to the SpamHero account
(Do not check the box for "Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA))
- Click the Advanced tab
- For the Outgoing server (smtp) port, use either port 587 (if you use STARTTLS) or port 465 (if you use SSL/TLS)
- Change the encryption type to either STARTTLS or SSL/TLS in the drop down menu labeled Use the following type of encrypted connection.
- Click OK, Next, then Finish
To set up Thunderbird to send outbound emails through SpamHero:
- In the Thunderbird email client program, click the Tools > Account Settings menu item. If you cannot find the File, Edit, Tools, etc menu bar, use the keyboard combination Alt + T, this will pull up the menu, even though it's hidden. example
- In the pop-up window, scroll to the bottom on the left, then click Outgoing Server (SMTP). Then in the right pane, select your email address, and then click the Edit... button. example
- Then enter the following:
| Thunderbird Setting
||587 or 465, based on the Connection security you choose (below)
For STARTTLS use 587
For SSL/TLS use 465
||Use STARTTLS or SSL/TLS
||Use your quarantine login email address here
- Click OK
At this point, you can now compose and send emails using our service. You should be prompted to enter your password on the first time you attempt to send. This password matches the one you use for logging into your SpamHero account.
Outbound Sending Limitations
There are a few different limits to be aware of:
- A single message can have up to a maximum of 50 recipients. To send the same message to more than 50 people, use separate messages.
- Users sending more than 25 messages in a 10 minute period will be deprioritized for the following 10 minutes. This allows users to send bulk messages without bogging down a single mail server. Deprioritized messages may be delayed depending on server resources available.
- If the total outbound message count of all users on a domain exceeds the monthly allotment for outbound messages on that domain, there will be an overage charge. Note that the count for inbound messages and outbound messages are tracked separately and each have a separate allowance. See pricing for details.